CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
December 14, 2000
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Robert Thompson - Co-Chair David Wilson - Manager
Fred Croscut - Director Rob Halbohm - NRCS
Robert Anderson - Director Leon Beightol - Treasurer
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to approve the minutes of the November meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
IV. CORRESPONDENCE - none
A. Other Agencies
1. Personnel Committee - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to accept the committee recommendations to hire Brian Mentley as the District Water Quality Technician. Carried!
C.State Committee - Fred Croscut
I attended the State Association Meeting at the Turning Points Casino in New York. The Annual Meeting was reviewed, committee assignments were not made at this time. An update was given on the office move. 2001 State Association Meeting was discussed, Chautauqua and Genesee County will be the host. A report was given by NRCS. The main topics were budget. John Wildeman also spoke to the group, he told that the State Committee is now full and that he hoped there would be more money for non-point pollution available. There is still some bond act money left, but it was drying up.
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. FSA Plan Good Faith Determination - A good faith determination was conducted. This will enable Herb Nobles to get his fields seeded down and get back in compliance with his Farm Plan. This process is proceeding along well.
District Minutes Page 2.
District Conservationist (cont.)
2. Cultural Resources Surveys for Conservation Activity - In the future when NRCS gets involved in a conservation practice that disturbs the ground, if it has not been previously disturbed we will have to do a Cultural Resource Assessment on the site. An outline of the project will be submitted to the State Dept. of Parks and recreation for a determination as to whether it is likely that there is an prehistoric or cultural artifacts in the area.
3. Approval of CRP Plan for Fred Croscut - MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the CRP Contract for Fred Croscut. Carried!
4. TMDL - See Attached
EB. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Ag Land Assessment - we have started doing some assessments already this year.
2. Trees & Shrubs - The tree and shrub catalog has gone to press. We have a couple new species this year. We hope to get them assembled and stapled the week after Christmas and in the mail after the first of the year.
3. Envirothon - We held a meeting on December 6 to get the Envirothon started this year. It will be held here at the Ag Center for the year 2001.
F. District Secretary
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. District Budget - We have received a letter from the IDA telling us that our budget was approved at last years amount. We are trying to get the other two percent that was requested. Bob Anderson will call Richard Alexander and setup a meeting with him to talk to us about our budget.
B. Appointments to the Board - Letters for 2001 Appointments to the Board are in the mail. We have asked that Fred Croscut and Bob Anderson be reappointed to the board to represent the County Legislature and David Sturges to represent the Member at large.
C. Hydro Seeder - We have prepared bid packets and legal notices to go out. The bids are to be opened at the next board meeting.
D. Water Quality Technician - Covered under committees.
E. Dry Hydrant Grant - We have been awarded the bid for dry hydrants. We will be sending a voucher to Neil Mcneight, Fire Coordinator for the funds and then we will order the parts. We will start installing the hydrants in the spring.
A. Storage Building - The board has asked David Wilson to check into renting or building a storage building for District use.
District Minutes Page 3.
IX. WATER QUALITY
A.Chautauqua Lake Study - The Water Quality Task Force held a press conference to release the State of The Lake Report for Chautauqua Lake.
X. COOPERATORS - none
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, January 18, 2001, 1:15 P.M. at the Frank W. Bratt Ag Center
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to adjourn at 1:55 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley
David J. Sturges