CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
February 24, 2000
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman David Wilson - Manager
Bruce Kidder - Director Debra Kelley - Secretary
Leon Beightol - Director Rob Halbohm - NRCS - DC
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Kidder seconded by Beightol to approve the minutes of the January meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Kidder seconded by Beightol to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. David Sturges: Reported on a meeting held in Mayville regarding the Municipal Health Insurance Plan. At this time it does not look like the Municipal Plan will add the extra benefits of vision and dental to their the present coverage.
B. Bruce Kidder reported on a letter that he received from Dan Steward of Western New York Crop Management Association regarding CAFO.
A. Other Agencies
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm, DC
1. CRP - Just had sign up number 20 and have 14 tracts and 350 acres signed up. Rob has ranked them for selection.
2. EQIP - The Local Working Groups must submit their draft proposal to NRCS AC and FSA DD by May 19,2000. The proposals must be submitted to USDA State Office by June 2, 2000. We think that Chautauqua Lake may be a good candidate for funding. The Chautauqua County Local Working Group needs to be reconvened to make this decision.
3. Conewango Creek - May be a possible choice for future funding , but we need to do more work on this before it will be ready. There will be a meeting on March 8th for the Wetland Reserve Program and the Conewango Creek Watershed.
4. Grazing Meeting - There is going to be a Grazing Conference Meeting held on March 15th from 10:30 to 3:00
District Minutes Page 2.
EB. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Envirothon - The review session was held on February 11, 2000 at the Ashville BOCES and it went nicely. The event will be on May 12, 2000 at the Audubon Society. I will be doing a presentation on our County Envirothon at the March training session. Chautauqua County has the largest single county Envirothon in New York State and the other district would like to know how we do it.
2. Trees & Shrubs - We are doing very well this year with the program. We have 140 orders to date.
3. Ag Land Assessment - We are swamped with agland parcels to do right now. We are about 50 to 60 parcels behind at this time Dave and I are looking forward to March 1, 2000 when the program ends for the year.
4. Farm and Garden Show at the Chautauqua Mall - Will be March 24 - 26, 2000. I will see if we can get a spot again this year. We make a lot of good contacts there and I think it is a good project.
5. Ag Tent at the Chautauqua County Fair: With the Boards approval I will send a letter to the Chautauqua County Fair Board asking to set up our tent again at the Fair this year.
F. District Secretary
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Appointments to the Board - No official appointments at this time.
B. Annual Plan of Work - Tabled
C. Long Range Plan of Work - Tabled
D. Election of Officers - Tabled
E. Committee Assignments - Tabled
F. Review Policies - Tabled
G. Review Rental Fees - Equipment & Services for 2000 - Tabled
H. Review Pay Prior to Approval List - Tabled
I. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
A. Seneca Trails RC&D Annual Meeting - To be held on February 17, 2000 in Olean, NY. David Wilson and David Sturges attended the meeting , Pat McGee was the guest speaker at the meeting. There was a fairly good turn out for the meeting and most counties were represented.
IX. WATER QUALITY
A. Findley Lake Grant - We will start work on this project when the weather breaks.
District Minutes Page 3.
B. Internship - The WQTF has been approached by a person in Jamestown who needs a project for her Masters Degree from Fredonia State. Dr. Wilson at Fredonia State has set this up. Bill Boria and David Wilson will come up with a project to do that will help us with a project that we are working on.
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, March 23, 2000, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank W. Bratt Ag Center.
MOTION by Kidder seconded by Beightol to adjourn at 2:45 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley
David J. Sturges