CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
November 16, 2000
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 1:15 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Robert Thompson - Co-Chair David Wilson - Manager
Fred Croscut - Director Rob Halbohm - NRCS
Robert Anderson - Director Leon Beightol - Treasurer
Frank J. Gould III - Staff
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the minutes of the October meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Croscut to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
IV. CORRESPONDENCE - none
A. Other Agencies
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. FSA Status Reviews - Status Reviews were done on 11 different tracts. 2 of these had transferred owners, so we did not do anything with them. 4 plans did not need reviews, because they either were all hay or the owner did not participate in any FSA Programs. There were 4 tracts that were fully applying their plans and there was one tract that was not following the plan. A notice letter was sent to the land owner and a copy was given to the District. We will be working to correct the problem.
2. Personnel - Beth Schreier NRCS Area Wildlife Biologist will be moving to Massachusetts. Monday will be her last day.
3. Conewango Creek Watershed - There was a meeting of the Conewango Watershed Group. At the meeting they presented some preliminary results to the Creek Monitoring. The final report is scheduled to be out this winter. The Creek has been monitored since 1962.
District Minutes Page 2.
EB. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Ag Land Assessment - We have sent out press releases to the newspapers, so we are getting ready to start. We will still charge $10.00 per parcel to do the work sheets.
2. Trees & Shrubs - We are working on our book for the 2001 sale. We have already ordered our stock. Prices have increased by a small amount.
3. Jay Gould - I would like to request an extension of time for Jay. We still have a lot of field work to try and get done before the weather gets too bad. MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to allow Jay to work through the end of December 2000 if needed. Carried!
F. District Secretary
1. Directors Expenses - I would like to remind the Directors to give me any expenses that they need to be reimbursed for and I need mileage for a round trip from home to the Ag Center for Leon.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. District Budget - Fred Croscut called the IDA Office, the District budget was approved at last years amount $125,460.00 instead of the requested amount of $127,969.20 which was a 2% increase over 2000.
B. Joint Annual Banquet - To be held November 30, 2000 at Vullo’s Restaurant. Becky Nystrom, Associate Professor of Biology, JCC will be the Guest Speaker on “Treasures of the Tropics”. Would everyone please turn in your reservations to me.
C. Hydro Seeder - We are still working on getting the used hydro seeder from Niagara County SWCD. I will get the specs so I can bide out for a new one.
D. Water Quality Technician - The board members reviewed the applications and selected five applicants for interviews. The board will conduct interviews on December 14, 2000 starting at 10:00 A.M.
E. Dry Hydrant Grant - We have submitted a bid to Chautauqua County to purchase dry hydrant parts for the State Member Item Grant to the Fire Chiefs. The Bids were opened and the awards will be made at a later date.
A. Appointments to the Board - The Legislators and David Sturges need to be re-appointed. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to write the letters asking for the reappointments to the Chautauqua County SWCD Board. Carried!
District Minutes Page 3.
IX. WATER QUALITY
A.Mini Grant - The WQTF has applied for 3 mini grants for 2001.
B. New Member - We have added a new member to the Water Quality Task Force, he is Doug Christ, Highway Superintendent for the town of Ellery. He will represent the Highway Superintendent Association.
X. COOPERATORS - none
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, December 14, 2000, 10:00 A.M. Interviews, Regular Meeting, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank W. Bratt Ag Center
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to adjourn at 2:30 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley
David J. Sturges