CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Chautauqua County Fair-Ag Tent, Dunkirk, NY 14048
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
August 23, 2001
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Leon Beightol - Treasurer David Wilson - Manager
Fred Croscut - Director Rob Halbohm - NRCS
Bob Thompson - Vice-Chair
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to approve the minutes of the July meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
IV. CORRESPONDENCE - none
A. Other Agencies
B. Committees - none
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) Program - The main emphasis of this program is on cost share practices to either set up short term grazing practices or do erosion control on crop land. In this county we had 19 landowners apply for the program. We have received notice of which landowners received funding and 7 out of the 19 did get funded. Construction will probably start next construction season. The total of cost shared projects for this program will be about $43,000.
2. EQIP - We applied for a state wide special project grant, to do a bunk silo leach aid for Landmark Acres. This project ranked high, but they ran out of funding. If they get money back from other projects they may fund this one.
3. French Creek EQIP - This project ranked 24 out of 40 and they funded 1 through 15, so we did not get funded for this one.
4. EQIP Construction - We have 2 projects that we have been working on this summer. One is at Rick and Dennis Meeder’s. We are working on a lane-way from the barn and fenced out a stream. The second one is at Matt Beckerinks, we did a leach-aid management for his bunk silo.
District Minutes Page 2.
E District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Partners for Wildlife Project - Pete McCray in Sherman, Peter grows buckwheat. We created a pond/marsh situation.
2. Visit The Farm Day - September 22, 2001, at Fred & Shelly Croscut’s Farm in Sherman. We will be participating in the program, we will be taking part of our Ag Tent Display with us.
3. Building - We have hired an Engineer, Ron Catalano, to do the plans for the pole building. He came up and looked at the site with us and agreed to do the drawings for $800.00.
4. District Trucks - The showing for the trade-in on the District trucks will be September 24, 2001.
F. District Secretary
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. 2000 Cooperator of the Year - Tabled
B. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
C. Dewey Manure Storage Structure - I have contacted NRCS in Batavia, Robert Hartrick, and he has agreed to help us with the engineering on the project. We will write for an extension of time so we try to complete this project.
A. NYACD Annual Meeting - To be held October 28 -30, 2001 at the Four Points, Sheraton Buffalo Airport, Buffalo, NY. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to send a $40.00 check to Anita Cartin for the Raffle Items for the meeting.
Larry Brown will not be working for RC&D on the Grazing Land Project this fiscal year. There was no funding.
IX. WATER QUALITY
X. COOPERATORS none
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, September 27, 2001, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to adjourn at 2:05 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges