CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Chautauqua County Fair-Ag Tent, Dunkirk, NY 14048
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
July 27, 2001
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 10:00 A.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Leon Beightol - Treasurer David Wilson - Manager
Fred Croscut - Director Tom Brace - Water Quality Specialist
Bob Thompson - Vice-Chair
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to approve the minutes of the June meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Thompson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
IV. CORRESPONDENCE - none
A. Other Agencies
B. Committees - none
C.State Committee - Tom Brace
1. Round 8 Ag Non-Point Grants - A list of projects has been released. 31 projects will be funded through the Environmental Protection Fund (EPF) for a total of $4.5 million of State money. We are still waiting for an official list of the projects to be funded through the Bond Act.
2. Round 9 Proposals - We are in the process of putting together the packets for this round of funding. They should be out by the end of August.
3. CAFO Update - We now have 7 Certified Planners. The CAFO Plans are very expensive. The DEC has put together a Compliance check list for these plans and it is 8 pages long. The DEC would like to do compliance checks on all the farms that are certified CAFO, but staffing may be a problem.
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) Program - Have received 19 applications for AMA, they are due to the State Office by 7/27/01
2. Construction - EQIP Construction Projects are going on at Matt Beckerinks and Dennis Meeders.
District Minutes Page 2.
E District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Hydro-Seeder - The Hydro-Seeder has been very busy. We have done jobs for the Town of Kiantone, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and 3 jobs for the County DPF. We had our name and phone number lettered on the side of it.
2. Chautauqua County Fair - Had been very successful again this year. Deb, the staff and volunteers have been here at working the Tent, as well as taking turns in the office for the mornings.
3. Building - We are still working on getting the building. We need a State Building Permit and we get this through the Department of State. We have the application, but we need a drawing from an Engineer to send in with it.
4. Water Quality Session with Don Lake - Was held on July 18 & 19, 2001 at the Frank Bratt Ag Center. 18 People attended the session. Don Lake did a great job and everyone was happy with the presentation. Don was happy with the number of people that attended.
F. District Secretary
1. Bass, Koi & Walleye -Bass we had 19 pond owners for a total of $1,228.01, Koi 20 pond owners for $1,890.00 and Walleye 9 pond owners for $917.00.
2. Administrative Conference - To be held October 3 & 4, 2001 at the Radisson Hotel, Utica, NY. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to allow administrative staff to attend and reimburse them for their expenses. Carried!
3. Puzzle Fun - We would like to have some of these printed to hand out at our events. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to have the Puzzle Fun Books printed. Carried!
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. 2000 Cooperator of the Year - Tabled
B. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
C. Northeast Regional Meeting - Reservations for Fred Croscut, Bob Anderson, David Sturges and David Wilson have been made for the Northeast Regional Meeting to be held in Fishkill, NY on August 5-8, 2001.
D. Dewey Manure Storage Structure - Progress on the Manure storage structure was discussed. Deadline for completion is December 31, 2001. Options to continue this project were discussed with Tom Brace. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Thompson for David Wilson to Check with NRCS and see if they would be willing to engineer the project. If this is a possibility David Wilson will write a letter to Tom Brace asking for an extension of time. Carried!
A. Elect a Voting Delegate and an Alternate - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to elect Fred Croscut as the Voting Delegate and David Sturges as the Alternate for the Northeast Regional Meeting in Fishkill, NY on August 5-8, 2001. Carried!
District Minutes Page 3.
IX. WATER QUALITY
A. Great Lakes Stream Monitoring Project - We will be holding a two day workshop at the North BOCES on July 31 & August 1, for all of the teachers along Lake Erie that are will be participating in the project. This is a $20,000 grant to work with the school to do some stream monitoring.
Mitchell & Sandy Farnham - Town of Stockton, MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to accept Mitchell and Sandy Farnham as District Cooperators. Carried!
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, August 23, 2001, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to adjourn at 11:00 A.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley
David J. Sturges