CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
January 24, 2002
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Leon Beightol - Treasurer David Wilson - Field Manager
Bob Thompson - Vice-Chair Rob Halbohm - NRCS
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to approve the minutes of the December meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. Washington Middle School - Thank you to David Wilson for his presentation on Soil & Water Conservation to the sixth grade students.
B. St. Hyacinth School - Thank you to Bryan Mentley for his presentation on Pollution to grades K through 8th.
A. Other Agencies-none
B. Committees - none
C.State Committee - none
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. FSA Plans Approval - I have 5 Food Security Act Plans completed and ready for approval. They are for Rick Walker, Town of Mina; Spinler Farms, Arkwright; Jonathon O’dell, Harmony; Stacey Heslink, Clymer; Melvin Kaufman, Clymer. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to approve the plans. Carried!
2. Pasture Expo -They have a tentative date of 3/28/02 at the Randolph Fire hall. They are trying to do this as a multi county project.
3. Future EQIP Applications - We have been thinking about the area in which we would be writing for future EQIP Applications. The Upper Conewango Watershed in cooperation with Cattaraugus County would be a good possibility.
District Minutes Page 2.
District Conservationist (cont.)
4. Staffing - NRCS has hired a replacement for the vacant Soil Conservationist position that is shared between Chautauqua County and Cattaraugus County. Shanna Reese from Coatsville, PA. She will be starting March 10, 2002, she was with the Ducks Unlimited previously.
E District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Trees & Shrubs - Trees and Shrubs are off to a great start, we have about 80 orders already.
2. Envirothon - Will be held April 26, 2002 at Long Point State Park. We may have two new teams this year.
3. Building - We have the project manual completed now, so we will have Warren Kelly from the County to look it over. We hope to go to bid next week and open them up at the next board meeting.
4. Grape School - The 2002 Grape Growers’ Conference will be held March 26, 2002 at SUNY Fredonia in Fredonia, NY. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to allow David Wilson and Debra Kelley to attend the conference. Carried!
5. Perry Dewey - We have sent a letter to Bob Hartrick just as a reminder about the plans for the manure pit at Deweys. We got the extension from Ag and Markets, so now we have until the end of 2002 to complete the project.
6. Farm & Garden Show - at the Chautauqua Mall will be held on April 12, 13, & 14. We would like to participate again this year. More information to follow.
F. District Secretary - Debra Kelley
1. Annual Financial Report to the State Committee and the State Comptroller - The board reviewed the financial report, the District brought in $83,000 in grants this year. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to approve the report and for Leon to sign it. Carried!
2. Erie County SWCD - I went to Erie County SWCD on January 17, 2002 to help them with their books and the Quickbooks Program. We made a lot of progress, and we also talked about a lot of other things.
3. Transfer Funds - We need to transfer $10,000 from the Computer Equipment account to the General fund to cover ordinary expenses until we get our county appropriations. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to make the transfer and when we receive our county appropriations return the $10,000 to the Computer Equipment Account. Carried!
VI. Old Business
A. District 2002 Contract with the County - We have not received our contract from the county to date. The law department called and said they were putting a rush on it. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson for David Sturges to sign the contract when we receive
District Minutes Page 3.
Old Business (cont.)
it and return it to the Law Dept. Carried!
B. Appointments to the Board - 2002 Robert Thompson, We have already received Bobs appointment letter from Farm Bureau.
A. 2002 Water Quality Symposium/Annual Training Session - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to allow staff and directors to attend the training session and reimburse them for expenses. Carried!
B. Annual Plan of Work- Tabled
C. Long Range Plan of Work - Tabled
D. Election of Officers - MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to re-elect the current officers for 2002. Carried!
E. Committee Assignments - Committee assignments were made by the Chairman.
F. Review Policies - Tabled
G. Review Rental Fees - Equipment & Services for 2002 - The Fee schedule was reviewed by the board. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to accept the schedule with the revisions. Carried!
H. Review Pay Prior to Approval List - The Pay Prior to Approval List was reviewed by the board. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to approve the list as presented to the board. Carried!
I. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
J. N.Y. State Association Conservation District - Pay Dues - Tabled
K. Personnel - Al Hemenger - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to increase Allen Hemenger rate of pay form $7.25 to $7.50 effective 1/14/02. Carried!
L. District Credit Card - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to apply for a District Credit Card with a credit limit of $2,000. Carried!
M. RFP & EPA Grant Application - MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to submit a grant application for Upper and Lower Conewango Watersheds to do Tier I & II Planing. Carried!
VIII. RC&D - JoAnn Kurtis
A. RC&D Representatives - We have written a letter to the County Executive recommending new appointments to the RC&D Board. Carried!
IX. Water Quality
A. Findley Lake Nature Center - MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to forward grant money to the Findley Lake Nature Center as it is received by the Chautauqua County SWCD. Carried!
X. Cooperators none
District Minutes Page 4.
XI. Next Meeting - Thursday, February 28, 2002, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to adjourn at 2:20 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges