CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
May 2, 2002
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Robert Anderson - Member David Wilson - Field Manager
Bob Thompson - Vice-Chair Rob Halbohm - NRCS
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson to approve the minutes of the February meeting with one correction to the District Conservationist, Approval of FSA Plans it should be 3 plans not 5.Carried.
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Thompson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. Conservationist of The Year Award, Presented by the Chautauqua County Federation of Sportsman’s Club Presented to David Wilson for his service to the youth of Chautauqua County.
B. Chautauqua County Pomona Grange presented David Wilson their Public Service Award for 2002 - This award is given to someone who goes beyond the call of duty serving the community.
C. Northern Chautauqua Community Foundation awarded the Chautauqua County SWCD $1,000 for the Chautauqua County Fair Ag Tent Project.
A. Other Agencies-none
1. Audit Committee - The Audit Committee reported to the full board of directors that the financial reports for 2001 appears to be in order. MOTION by Anderson seconded by Thompson to accept the Audit Committees report. Carried!
C.State Committee - none
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. Pasture Expo/Pasture Walk - There was a Pasture Expo in Randolph in late March, about 100 attended, so the interest is still high in this area. The Pasture Walk was at Jim Beightols, we did a seeding demonstration with the no-till drill and we will have another meeting there in the summer to see how it did.
District Minutes Page 2.
District Conservationist (cont.)
2. AMA Program - In 2001 7 contracts were approved. In 2002 the 12 that were not approved from 2001, could re-apply. They were be reviewed on 4/10/02.
3. FSA Plans - I received a revision to an FSA Conservation Plan for the Nobles Farm. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson to approve the changes to the FSA Plan for the Nobles Farm. Carried!
E District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Trees & Shrubs - Trees and Shrubs are coming to a close we have a few evergreens left over. We had gross sales of $50,450, 488 orders and sold 78,200 trees, shrubs and ground covers. This was the biggest tree & shrub sale ever.
2. Envirothon - The Envirothon is now completed, Falconer Central School Took First Place and they will represent Chautauqua County at the New York State Envirothon on May 29 & 30, 2002.
3. Building - The bid for the building was awarded to E.E. Austin and we have a signed contract with them. They have ordered the building it should be here next month.
4. Arbor Day Program - Arbor Day was April 26, 2002. The District along with the High School Ag/Conservation Class passed out 2,500 seedlings to the Fifth grade classes. This year the Lakewood Rod & Gun Club funded this program.
5. Conservation Field Days - May 25 & 26 at Long Point State Park. Bryan and I will have two displays there again this year.
6. NYS DOT Hydro Seeding - We were contacted by the NYS DOT in Mayville regarding hydro-seeding. We gave them a copy of our contract with Chautauqua County and told them we could do the same for them.
F. District Secretary - Debra Kelley
1. Grass Carp - We are getting ready for delivery on May 21, 20002. To date I have 35 orders for 300 carp sold.
2. Koi - I will be sending out order forms for Koi soon.
VI. Old Business
A. Pay National Dues - Tabled
B. Dewey Manure Pit - There were 4 contractors at the second site showing for the Dewey Pit Project. Bids will be opened on May 23, 2002 at 1:00 PM.
A. Local Committee Appointments for 2002 - The appointments have been approved by the County Legislature. The Appointments are Larry Brown, Fred Croscut, Ted Mathews and Larry Rater. The Local RC&D Committee had a meeting at Matlink last week and toured their new facility.
District Minutes Page 3.
IX. Water Quality
A. Water Week - Will be held May 6 - 12, 2002, the Water Quality Task Force will have a display at the Chautauqua County Mall that week.
B. Presentation to the Legislature - We will be putting together a presentation for the Legislators in June. This year is the 30th Anniversary of the Clean Water Act and the 20th Anniversary of the Water Quality Co-ordinating Committees that are run by the Soil & Water Conservation Districts across the country.
X. Cooperators none
XI. Next Meeting - Thursday, June 27, 2002, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY. Budget Meeting at the IDA Office 4:00 PM
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson to adjourn at 1:45 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges