CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
October 24, 2002
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 1:15 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Leon Beightol - Treasurer David Wilson - Manager
Fred Croscut - Director Bob Anderson - Director
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Croscut to approve the minutes of the September meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A.Thank You to David Wilson from Delana Rupp of JCC for his help and presentation to her group.
B. Cattaraugus County SWCD 2002 Annual Banquet: Friday, November 15, 2002, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut for staff and directors to attend the banquet. Carried!
A. Other Agencies
B. Committees - none
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. Conservation Plan for Minor Brothers: MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to approve the Conservation Plan for The Minor Brothers. Carried!
2. Computer Working Agreement between the District and NRCS: MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to sign the agreement with NRCS ( See Attached ). Carried!
E District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Building - We now have a concrete floor in the building. Now they can work on the electric so we can have some lights.
2. District Trucks - Monday 10/21/02 we took the trucks down to Falconer for the dealers to look at them for the county bid. The bids will be opened on 10/30/02.
3. Roundup for Family Unity - The Center for Family Unity Prevention of Child Abuse Program asked us to bring part of our Ag Awareness Tent downtown on Saturday October 19th. They had a pretty good turn out even though the weather was poor on Saturday.
District Minutes Page 2.
District Manager (cont.)
4. Sherman School - Wetlands Project - Perry Dewey III the teacher aqured some land and got some grants to develop it into a nature center. Dave Wilson obtained some Partners for Wildlife money to help them develop it for educational purposes. Reeds donated the property to the school.
F. District Secretary
1. Trout - Delivery was October 18th and we have sold 2,400 trout with a $ amount of $2,878 this year. The October 2nd delivery did not happen, the fish died.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Dewey Pit - The pump and pit are in. The electricians still have some work to do there, but we are getting close. We are looking for November 1st to start the pumps and push manure.
B. 2001 Co-operator of the year - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol for Dennis Rak of Double A Vineyard in Sheridan on Christy Road to be the 2001 Co-Operator of the year. Carried!
C. Joint Annual Banquet - Will be held on December 4 at Bellinger Hall, Chautauqua Institute. The District will be in charge of the speaker for the meeting. Michelle Black will speak on her trip up the Amazon.
D. Educator of the Year - MOTION by Croscut seconded Beightol for Jeff Angeletti of HEWES Educational Center in Ashville to be the 2001 Educator of the year. Carried!
A. Health Insurance - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut effective January 1, 2003 the Chautauqua County SWCD will pay each employee who does not take Health Insurance from the District, because they are covered under their spouses plan, $1,000 per year. The payment will be made in two payments of $500.00 each payable on 6/31 and 12/31 each year. There will be no retroactive payments for this policy on 1/1/03. Carried! This motion will be added to the District Policies.
B. County Insurance for District Vehicles - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol for Debbie to check into the possibility of insuring the district trucks with the county. Carried!
C. Low Milk Price Meeting - There will be a meeting on November 13, 2002 at the Ross Grange Hall in Falconer. The meeting will start at 11:00 AM lunch will be served at the meeting.
IX. WATER QUALITY
1. 2002 Mini-Grant - Chautauqua County has been awarded a Level 3 Mini-Grant to do a Findley Lake Sewer Study. The Grant amount is for $15,000.
District Minutes Page 3.
X. COOPERATORS - none
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, November 21, 2002, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
XII.Meeting Adjourned - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to adjourn at 2:30 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges