CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Chautauqua County Fair-Ag Tent, Dunkirk, NY 14048
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
July 25, 2003
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 10:00 A.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Jay Gould - Technician
Leon Beightol - Treasurer David Wilson - Manager
Fred Croscut - Director Debra Kelley - Secretary
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to approve the minutes of the June meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. Thank You Letter to David Wilson from Alycia Ippolito of the Canadaway 4-H
B. Letter from Paul F. Zimmerman, Deputy Commissioner of NYS Dept of Ag & Markets, regarding the Environmental Stewardship Award.
A. Other Agencies
B. Committees - none
C. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. Status of EQIP Program - Ranking, See Attachment. We will put together contracts for the first three on the list. This does not mean that they are funded. If the first farm gets it’s contract in place they will get all of the available funds.
2. WHIP - There were two new contracts funded for Everett Pickup and Duinks, Town of Mina.
3. WRP - I have a plan for the Hound Dog Rod & Gun Club that was funded a couple of years ago for implementation of the plan.
4. FSA Plans - I have two FSA Conservation Plans for approval, they are for Walker Farm and Maleski Farm. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to approve the WRP Plan for the Hound Dog Rod & Gun Club and the FSA Plans for the Walker and Maleski Farms. Carried!
5. Grassland Reserve Program - This is a new program that was in the Farm Bill. This program is for producers that want to take hay land and pasture land and roll it in the program. This program has some similarities to the Conservation Reserve
Program. There are 10, 20 or 30 year rental periods. They will agree to leave this land in grass land and not grow crops on it. This is a continuous sign up program.
District Minutes Page 2.
D. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Chautauqua County Fair - The tent is at a different location near the front gate and it has rained some every day so far.
2. Roundup For Family Unity - will be held on August 9th, down- town Jamestown in the old Rite Aid Building. We will be taking part of our Ag Display with us.
3. 2002 Cooperator of The Year - Tabled
E. District Secretary
1. Bass - are now scheduled for a July 28th delivery.
2. Walleye - we have completed our stocking for 2003.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
B. Building Lease - USDA has given notice that if repairs have not been completed by the end of August, they will stop paying rent.
A. 2004 County Budget - The board reviewed the budget for 2004. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to approve the budget as presented. Carried!
B. Personnel -
1. Debbie & Dave Spann - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to approve the Anniversary Grade Increase as of September 7, 2003. Carried!
2. Margo Sperandeo - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol give Margo a $500.00 Tuition payment for her interning with the District in spring of 2003. Carried!
C. National Association of Conservation Districts - 58th Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2004, Hawaii.
D. NYACD Division Meeting - We will be setting up a meeting for August 2003. We also have a resolution to submit at the meeting (See Attached Letter). MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to submit a Resolution regarding the distribution of EQIP funds. Carried!
IX. WATER QUALITY
X. COOPERATORS - None
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, August 28, 2003, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to adjourn at 11:15 A.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges