CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
October 23, 2003
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Robert Anderson - Member David Wilson - Field Manager
Leon Beightol - Treasurer
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the minutes of the September meeting. Carried.
III. Treasurers Report:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. A Thank You letter to David Wilson from the Dunkirk Garden Club, Rosemary Hayes, for a program presentation.
A. Other Agencies - none
C. District Conservationist Rob Halbohm
1. NRCS Staffing -
Shanna Shaw, the Soil Conservationist that served both Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties since March of 2002, accepted the position of Area Biologist. She began working out of the Batavia Area Office on October 6. When the position is re-filled, it may be located in the Jamestown Field Office.
2. Grassland Reserve Program
Three Chautauqua County landowners have signed up for the program thus far; John Swanson, Bunce Farms, and Mary Jane Gerringer.
3. Conservation Reserve Program
Two landowners were accepted under Signup 26, Willink Farms and Mildred Steenburn. The Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program will be available soon.
D. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Fall Work Load We still have a lot of work to do in the field. We are still hydro-seeding, laying out tile drainage and pond construction. We have started working on the Tree & Shrub book for 2004.
2. District Trucks I took it to the County DPF on Monday for the dealers to do an appraisal for the trade. We should have the information by the November Meeting.
E. District Secretary - Debra Kelley
1. Trout Stocking sold $980.00 of trout for a profit of $200.00
2. Laser Printer Service Agreement The cost to replace this printer would be around $2,000 and the service agreement would cost $1,200 for one year. We will not renew the service agreement and until the Lexmark breaks we are not going to replace it.
3. District Minutes Email I would like to start sending the District Minutes by email to anyone who has email. This will save us a couple of dollars a month and with budget cuts next year we are looking for ways to save money.
District Minutes Page 2.
VI. Old Business
A. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
B. Ag Center Building Lease We are getting close.
C. 2002 Cooperator of the Year MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve Matt and Nancy Beckerink for the 2002 Cooperator of the year. Carried!
D. 2003 Teacher of the Year - MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve Linda Seleen as the 2003 Teacher of the Year. Carried!
E. Joint Annual Banquet The 2003 Joint Annual Meeting will be held on December 4, 2003 at the Cassadaga American Legion. I will need your reservations by November 28.
VII. New Business
A. Budget 2004 - We have heard that the budget cut for 2004 will be 15% this is not official yet, but we are trying to look at ways to cut cost and keep everyone employed. We have considered layoffs and a 4 day work week . The 4 day work week will generate the most savings. We will not make a decision at this time.
B. Personnel Policy Handbook MOTION by Anderson Seconded by Beightol to approve the Personnel Handbook and give a copy to each SWCD Employee. Carried!
C. Staffing SARA Grant MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to hire Margo Sperandeo to complete the grant to preserve the 1938 Aerial Photos. Carried!
D. Resolution for Grant MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to submit the resolution to apply for the 319 grants.
E. Cattaraugus County SWCD Banquet - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to allow district staff and directors to attend the banquet and reimburse them for expenses. Carried!
VIII. RC&D - None
IX. Water Quality - None
X. Cooperators None
XI. Next Meeting - Thursday, December 11, 2003, 12:30 P.M. at the Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY. We will have Pizza & Wings for Christmas Lunch.
XII. Meeting Adjourned
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to adjourn at 2:20 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges