CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
August 23, 2004
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Robert Thompson - Vice-Chair David Wilson - Field Manager
Fred Croscut - Member
Robert Anderson - Member
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to approve the minutes of the July meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. Other Agencies-None
B. Committees - None
C.District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. USDA Program Update - Chautauqua County had 6 EQIP contracts funded, totaling $460,000 and 10 AMA contracts were funded, totaling $60,000.
D. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Certified Professional in Storm Water Quality Review - Don Lake who is under contract with the State Committee was in Chautauqua County on August 10 to do a training session at the Ag Center in conjunction with the District. We had 20 people attend the session.
2. Chautauqua County Fair - The Fair is done we had better attendance than last year. The Ag Tent did very well this year.
3. Round-up for Family Unity - We participated in this event again this year, it was held on August 7th, downtown Jamestown. We did charge them this year.
4. Environmental Stewardship Award - was given to the Matt & Nancy Beckerink at Empire Farm Days on August 11th. The District received a plaque and $1,000, the Beckerink’s received a plaque and front page coverage on the American Agriculturalist. We are trying to get extra copies of the magazine to give to the legislators.
E. District Secretary - reported by Dave Wilson
1. 2004 Administrative Training Session - will be held in Utica on September 29 & 30. MOTION by Anderson seconded by Croscut to allow Deb Kelley to attend and reimburse her for expense. Carried!
District Minutes Page 2.
VI. Old Business
A. Review Policies - We would like to develop a new policy for Internet Access and Email. I hope to have this ready by the next meeting.
B. District Finances & Budget - Richard Alexander of the IDA met with Dave Sturges and told him that he would put the District in for the same amount of appropriations for 2005 as we received in 2004. Croscut & Anderson Felt the letters that were sent to the Legislator was effective.
C. Health Insurance - Because the County Municipal Health Insurance Plan is in serious financial trouble Deb has asked John Cureo of Lawley Benefits Group to make a presentation to the board on different health care providers and benefits. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson for the District to send a letter to the Chaut. Co. Municipal Health Insurance Plan to withdraw from the Plan by December 1, 2004. Carried!
IX. Water Quality
X. Cooperators none
XI. Next Meeting - Thursday, September 23, 2004, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank W Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Croscut to adjourn at 2:40 A.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges