CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Chautauqua County Fair-Ag Tent, Dunkirk, NY 14048
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
JULY 30, 2004
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Jay Gould - Technician
Robert Thompson - Vice-Chair David Wilson - Field Manager
Fred Croscut - Member Rob Halbohm - NRCS DC
Leon Beightol - Treasurer
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to approve the minutes of the June meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. Thank you letter from The Ormonds for the use of the little cow.
B. Thank you letter from Pat McGee to David Wilson for his visit to Albany in March.
A. Other Agencies-None
B. Committees - None
C.District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. Personnel: Ben the student intern will be leaving to go back to school on August 13, 2004. The NRCS Soil Conservationist that was hired for this county started August 12 his name is Heath Eisele. This position is basically a training position, so he is getting started.
2.EQIP - I received 11 applications, we are into the next round of funding, so we are waiting to see which ones get funded. We hope to fund about half of these and hopefully we will know within the next couple of weeks.
3. WRP - We are getting ready to start on some of the wetland restoration projects. We have 7 projects that we could potentially implement in the near future.
4. Grassland Reserve - We received 4 applications and I am in the process of ranking them. There is $750,00 for the whole state.
5. CREP - 5 applications were received for streambank buffers, it is pretty much a given that they will be funded if they qualify.
6.AMA - 12 applications were received and 10 of them were approved.
7.Contribution Agreement - This is a contract between NRCS and the District for the District to help NRCS with some of the field work and get reimbursed for 50% of their time. This is at the State office waiting to be approved.
District Minutes Page 2.
D. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Certified Professional in Storm Water Quality Review - Don Lake who is under contract with the State Committee will be in Chautauqua County on August 10 to do this training session at the Ag Center in conjunction with the District.
2. Chautauqua County Fair - The Fair is doing well and the Ag Tent is also doing very well. There has been a lot of people here over the last few days.
E. District Secretary - reported by Dave Wilson
1. Fish - we have finished our fish program except for trout to date we have made about $1,000 on this program.
VI. Old Business
A. Review Policies - Tabled
B. District Finances & Budget - all district staff is now on a 32 hour work week. Dave sturges met with Richard Alexander to talk about the district budget. The district budget was submitted for approval with no cut for 2005. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to do a mass mailing to get letters of support for the District. Carried!
C. Health Insurance - Tabled
D. NYACD Annual Meeting - October 24 - 26, 2004 Lake Placid. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Thompson to approve staff and directors to attend, but at their own expense. Carried!
A. Environmental Stewardship Award - presented at Empire Farm Days and sponsored by the Empire State Potato Growers, Inc. The District nominated Matt & Nancy Beckerink for this award. The Beckerink’s and the district will receive their Award at the Empire Farm Days. The American Agriculturist will feature the Beckerink’s on the cover of their August Issue.
A. Project Measure for Center Stride - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Thompson to submit the Project Measure for Center Stride to the RC&D Council.
B. Tour at Matt Beckerink’s - was held in July to view the sand separator.
IX. Water Quality
A. Water Week at Chautauqua Institute - The WQTF will be setting up a display at the Institute on Sunday August 1, 2004
X. Cooperators none
XI. Next Meeting - Friday, August 26, 2004, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank W Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to adjourn at 11:45 A.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges