CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
May 26, 2005
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:10 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Leon Beightol - Treasurer David Wilson - Field Manager
Fred Croscut - Director
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to approve the minutes of the March meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. Other Agencies
1. Division Directors Meeting - was May 17, 2005. Elections were held and Brad Rogers was re-elected as Division Chairman.
B. District Conservationist
1. Personnel - Heath Eisele, Soil Conservationist for NRCS, Jamestown Field Office will be moving to Malone, NY around the end of July. We will miss him, he was a great help here in our office.
C. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Trees & Shrubs - Tree and Shrubs program is finished, we had a total of 395 orders and made a profit of $10,000 for the year.
2. Envirothon - was held on April 29, 2005 at the Frank Bratt Ag Center. We had 12 schools with 21 teams participate this year. Southwestern High School Team I took first place, Brocton Central School Team I was second and Maple Grove Jr/Sr High School was third. The State Envirothon is at SUNY Oswego May 25 & 26, 2005.
D. District Secretary - Debra Kelley
1. Grass Carp - program is completed we sold 191 carp this year for a profit of $750.
VI. Old Business
A. Appointments to the Board - All of the appointments have been to the board by the county executive and the legislature.
B. Election of Officers - Motion by Beightol seconded by Croscut to keep the same officers as 2004. Carried!
C. Committee Assignments - were made by the Chairman, all committee assignments will remain the same as 2004.
District Minutes Page 2.
Old Business (cont.)
D. Review Rental Fees - Motion by Beightol seconded by croscut to approve the rental fee schedule as presented. Carried!
A. Conservation Improvement Grant - Member Item Pat McGee - with the passing of Senator Pat McGee this grant was put on hold, but with the election of Kathy Young it has been reinstated.
B. Frank J Gould III - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut for Jay to start work as of May 1, 2005. Carried!
C. National Association 2005 Dues - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to pay the national dues if the district has enough money.
D. Springville Dairy & Ag Festival - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut for the Chautauqua County SWCD to participate in the festival and take the Ag Educational Tent.
1. Upper & Lower Conewango Creek AEM Grant - We received an extension on the time to compete this grant until 3/31/06.
2. Great Lakes Commission Grant - we have received a grant from the Great Lakes Commission to do a stream bank stabilization project the total amount of the grant is for $125,000.
3. AEM Strategic Planning Grant - This grant is to do Tier Planning in the Grape Belt of Chautauqua County. The total amount of this grant is $20,000 for 2005.
VIII. RC&DA.Great Lakes Commission Grant - This grant is to do some erosion and sediment control work at Centaur Stride a handicapped Riding Stable. The total amount of the grant is $21,000.
IX. Water Quality
A. Water Week - was May 2 through May 8, 2005 it was held at the Chautauqua Mall and The Village of Cassadaga won the best tasting water contest.
B. Documentary - Dave Wilson and Bill Boria were at Clymer Valley on May 26, 2005 to record a documentary on the high nitrate levels in the aquifer there.
X. Cooperators none
XI. Next Meeting - Thursday, June 23, 2005, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to adjourn at 2:00 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges