CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
October 14, 1999
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman John Whitney - NRCS, Acting DC
Bruce Kidder - Director Debra Kelley - Secretary
Lewis Rice - Director David Wilson - Manager
Leon Beightol - Director
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Kidder to approve the minutes of the August meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Kidder seconded by Beightol to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills for August & September. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. A thank you letter from Kevin Fox regarding the help he received from David Wilson on his Partners for Wildlife Project.
B. A thank you letter from the Westfield Fish & Game Club for our donation of topo maps.
B. Other Agencies
D. District Conservationist - John Whitney, Acting DC
1.Staffing - Rob Halbohm, currently Resource Conservationist at Waltone, has been selected for the District Conservationist position in Jamestown. Rob will begin his new duties effective November 7, 1999.
1. WHIP - MOTION by Kidder seconded by Beightol to approve the revision in the WHIP Plan for John Murray. Carried!
EC. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Fall Work Load - We are still outside doing field work. Jay is laying out some diversion ditches for Tom Ormond. We have some tile lines to do after the grape harvest is done. We still have plenty of fall work to do.
2. Dry Hydrants - We are still putting in dry hydrants, but we are out of parts and pipe. I have been asked by the
District Minutes Page 2.
District Field Manager (cont.)
Chautauqua County Fire Chiefs Association to put together a
proposal that they can present to Senator Pat McGee requesting more money for dry hydrants. I will also include a letter of support from the district, stating that we can run the program the same as in the past if it is funded.
3. District Truck - I took the District Truck down for the County bidding. McFadden Ford and Ed Schultz bid on the truck. I now have the bide results back and the District can trade our 1999 truck and $637.00 for a new 2000 pickup. MOTION by Kidder seconded by Rice to accept the bid for $637.00 to trade for a new 2000 pickup. Carried!
4. Partners for Wildlife Project - Mike and Becky Darroch, this is the second project under this program that we have completed for 1999. This should be the end of our money for this year. We had $15,000 at the beginning of the construction season.
5. Tree & Shrub Program - We have started work on the program for 2000. We reviewed the prices and some of them did increase.
F. District Secretary
1. NYS Retirement Seminar - Was held September 30, 1999 in Buffalo, NY. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Rice for Debbie to attend the meeting and be reimbursed for travel expenses. Carried!
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. NYACD - Annual Meeting Sept. 26 -28, 1999 in Syracuse. Many changes took place in the State Association, Anita Carton the Executive Director has been made full time. The job could not be done as a part time position any longer. The State Assoc. will raise their dues to pay for the salary increase for the position. The bylaws were changed this year to allow the nominations for elections of officers from the floor rather than from the Board of Directors. The new State Association President is Joe Gergela, he is a very knowledgeable man. He is from Long Island and is connected with the Farm Bureau. Twenty resolutions came before the association and we did get through them in the second day.
A. Joint Annual Banquet - will be held on December 2, 1999 at Vullo’s. Dinner will be at 7:30 PM. Coop-Extension will be taking care of all of the arrangements this year.
B. Promotional Calendars for the Year 2000 - NACD is promoting a really nice calender for the year 2000. It would have the Districts name on the top of it and we can get 200 of them for $160.00. I would like to give them to Legislators, Teachers, and other partners. I think it would be a good promotional deal for us. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Kidder to purchase 200 promotional calenders for the District at $160.00. Carried!
District Minutes Page 3.
C. District Training - There will be two training session held for district employees. One on November 19, 1999 in Wyoming County for NYS Grants Administration and records. The second one is December 10, 1999 in Monroe County for Municipal Law and SWCD’s. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Rice for district staff to attend the training sessions and to be reimbursed for their expenses. Carried!
IX. WATER QUALITY
A. NYS Geology Meeting and Tour - This tour ran Friday through Sunday. Each day there were tours in different areas to look at different aspects of geology and water quality in the county. On Saturday the Tour covered the Brocton and Westfield Reservoirs. I was asked to participate and also to speak for this part of the tour.
X. COOPERATORS - none
XI. NEXT MEETING - Friday, November 19, 1999, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank W. Bratt Ag Center.
MOTION by Kidder seconded by Rice to adjourn at 2:00 PM. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley
David J. Sturges