CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
April 27, 2000
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Robert Anderson - Director
Leon Beightol - Treasurer David Wilson - Manager
Bob Thompson - Director Debra Kelley - Secretary
Fred Croscut - Director Rob Halbohm - NRCS
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to approve the minutes of the March meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
IV. CORRESPONDENCE- none
A. Other Agencies
C.State Committee Debra Kelley for Tom Brace
1. CAFO - Update - 500 notices of intent have been filed across New York State. This is only about half the anticipated number. The DEC will be sending out follow up letters to farmers that did not file their notice of intent. Eight plans have been submitted for approval, three of them have been approved. In Chautauqua County 22 notices have been filed.
2. State Reimbursement - The state reimbursement to Conservation Districts has passed the Senate and the Assembly with an increase to $1.86 million, which will allow up to $30,000 to each District. The Governor has not passed the budget yet, but we hope this will happen soon.
2. Director Training - Tom will come to the office and give some training to the new directors and the returning ones if they feel a need for this type of training. It will take about 2 hours for a quick overview.
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm, DC
1. EQIP - The Local Work Group met on 4/27/00 to review the grant proposal for FY 2001. This will include 3 sub-basins of Chautauqua Lake. We would like to get cost share funding to do best management practices on farms in these watersheds.
District Minutes Page 2.
District Conservationist (cont.)
There are about 20 farms of various sizes in these watersheds. The first draft has to be submitted by May 19th. We will not have any confirmation until this fall to let us know if it is approved or not.
2. Conewango Creek Watershed - I went to a meeting in Warren County, PA about a week ago. They are really interested in the watershed and have a lot of data and information on it, but none of the data has been analyzed. They are trying to hire a watershed coordinator that can cross county and state lines to work with other districts that have watersheds going into the Conewango Creek.
3. Food Security Act Conservation Plan Revision - Randy Wasink - MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to accept the changes in the Plan for Randy Wasink. Carried!
EB. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Trees & Shrubs - This year was the best year we have had for the number of trees sold, around 50,000 trees. The number of orders was less than last year, but over all it was a really good year. May 6th from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM will be our final clearance sale.
2. Envirothon - Will be held May 12th, we have t-shirts and mugs ordered. We have received a number of donations already and we seem to be in good shape.
3. Grass Carp - We have already took 26 orders for Grass Carp, they will be delivered on May 15th here at the Ag Center.
4. Conservation Field Days- Is scheduled for May 31 and June 2, 2000 at Long Point State Park. We will be participating in the event and will have a station set up there.
5. Arbor Day - Is Friday April 28th. Yesterday I did an Arbor Day project with a 4-H Group from Stockton. We planted two 6' Blue Spruce trees in Millrace Park in the Town of Stockton. The trees were some that I had planted several years ago just for this type of program. We had a photographer from the Post Journal to cover the program.
F. District Secretary
1. Soil Stewardship Sunday - To be held at the Gerry United Methodist Church on Sunday, May 7, 2000.
2. Computer Purchase - Discussion was held on the purchase of a new computer for the District. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Croscut to purchase a new Dell Computer. Carried!
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Long Range Plan of Work - The long range plan of work was reviewed. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to approve the Long Range Plan of Work. Carried!
B. Contract with the County - The contract with Chautauqua County was signed by Dave Sturges on 3/31/00 and returned to the County Law
District Minutes Page 3.
Old Business (cont.)
C. Committee Assignments - Chairman Sturges made committee assignments. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to accept the committee assignments and made. Carried!
D. Review Policies - Tabled
E. Personnel Appraisals - Personnel Appraisals were completed.
F. Pay the National Dues - Tabled
A. Division II Directors Meeting - Allegany County SWCD will be hosting the meeting this year. They will be setting up the meeting for the first week in June.
IX. WATER QUALITY
A. Water Week - is the first week in May and there will be a water tasting contest at the Chautauqua Mall on May 13, 2000.
X. COOPERATORS - none
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, June 22, 2000, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank W. Bratt Ag Center.
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to adjourn at 2:30 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley
David J. Sturges