CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
January 27, 2000
I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Bruce Kidder - Director
Bob Thompson - Director Debra Kelley - Secretary
Leon Beightol - Director David Wilson - Manager
II. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Beightol to approve the minutes of the December meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. A Letter from Washington Middle School to David Wilson, Thanking him for his presentation on “Soil & Water Conservation” to the 6th grade students.
B. A letter from Pat McGee to David Wilson, thanking him for him recent letter regarding a legislative member initiative grant.
A. Other Agencies
1. Farmland Protection Board: They held a public hearing last week. There was about 25 people in attendance and they gave some input on the issue. John Cheney was present and made some points that he was concerned about. At this point the board is not addressing any environmental concerns, these issues will be dealt with at a later date. There will be two more meetings and they will be scheduled in the near future.
D. District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm, DC
SEE ATTACHED REPORT: Report handed out to board members.
EB. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Envirothon - is well underway, we have mailed out donation requests. We have sent letters to the schools to find out which ones are interested this year. The workshop has been set up for February 11, 2000 at the Ashville BOCES.
2. Trees & Shrubs - We are doing very well this year we have 59 orders already, which is twice as many as last year at this time.
3. Ag Land Assessment - We have done 86 parcels so far this year. We are still working on them and we have about a month to go.
4. Chautauqua County Town & Village Highway Superintendents Association - MOTION by Beightol seconded by Kidder for the District to join the association and pay the yearly dues. Carried!
District Minutes Page 2.
F. District Secretary
1. Annual Financial Report to the State Committee and the State Comptroller - The Annual Financial Reports for 1999 are complete and ready for the board members to review and for Leon to sign and then I will mail them in to the State.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Appointments to the Board - No official appointments at this time.
B. New York State Association of Conservation Districts - Pay State Dues. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to pay the State Dues. Carried!
A. CAFO - MOTION by Kidder seconded by Beightol to apply the District Service Charge to Consultants for Assistance with CAFO Planning. Carried!
B.2000 Water Quality Symposium / Annual Training Sess ion - March 14 - 17, 2000 at the Holiday Inn in Auburn. Register before February 15, 2000. MOTION by Kidder seconded by Beightol to send the District Staff and Directors to the Symposium and reimburse them for expenses. Carried!
C. Annual Plan of Work - Tabled
D. Long Range Plan of Work - Tabled
E. Election of Officers - Tabled
F. 1999 Cooperator of the Year - Goodyear Report, MOTION by Kidder seconded by Thompson for David Ross to be the 1999 Farmer of the Year. Carried!
G. Committee Assignments - Tabled
H. Review Policies - Tabled
I. Review Rental Fees - Equipment & Services for 2000 - Tabled
J. Review Pay Prior to Approval List - Tabled
K. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
L. Legislative Days - Will be March 7, 2000 in Albany. MOTION by Kidder seconded by Thompson to send staff and directors to the Legislative Day Activity and reimburse them for expenses. Carried!
A. Seneca Trails RC&D Annual Meeting - To be held on February 17, 2000 in Olean, NY. MOTION by Kidder seconded by Beightol to allow staff and directors to attend the meeting and reimburse them for expenses. Carried!
IX. WATER QUALITY
A.Warner C. McCray, Township of Mina, 3732 Route 13, Sherman, NY 14781. MOTION by Kidder seconded Beightol to accept Warner C. McCray as a Cooperator. Carried!
XI. NEXT MEETING - Thursday, February 24, 2000, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank W. Bratt Ag Center.
MOTION by Kidder seconded by Thompson to adjourn at 1:55 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley
David J. Sturges