CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
February 27, 2003
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Leon Beightol - Treasurer David Wilson - Field Manager
Bob Thompson - Vice-Chair Bruce Kidder - Farmer
Fred Croscut - Member Robert Anderson - Member
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the minutes of the January meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
IV. Correspondence: None
A. Other Agencies-none
1. Audit Committee - Met 2/27/03 See Attached Report. MOTION by Anderson seconded by Croscut to accept the Audit Committees Report. Carried!
C. District Conservationist
1. Personnel - NRSC is imposing a hiring freeze effective February 23, 2003 - December 31, 2003. They are looking to see where they can make cut.
2. FSA Plan - Norvel Willink - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to accept the FSA Plan for Norvel Willink. Carried!
3. WRP Plan - Winton Farm - MOTION By Beightol seconded by Croscut to accept the WRP Plan for the Winton Farm. Carried!
4. Conservation Plan - Sean Powell, Falconer and White Brothers, Clymer. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson to accept the Conservation Plans for Sean Powell and the White Brothers. Carried!
E District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Trees & Shrubs - Trees and Shrubs are running behind last year, we have about 130 orders for $10,393 of gross income.
2. Envirothon - Will be held May 2, 2003 at Cockaigne Ski Center in Cherry Creek, NY. We will hold a workshop at JCC on February 28,2003. We over filled the Forum Theater, 150 students, this was a great turn out.
District Minutes Page 2.
District Field Manager (cont.)
3. Legislative Day - Will be held on February 24 & 25, 2003. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Thompson to allow staff and directors to attend Legislative Day and reimburse them for expenses. Carried!
4. Truck - New Ford F-450 is in, but it had some damage to the truck cap. McFadden Ford will make the needed repairs.
5. Farm & Garden Show - Will be held at the Chautauqua Mall on March 21 - 23, 2003. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson for the District to attend the Farm & Garden Show and pay the $95.00 entry fee. Carried!
F. District Secretary - Debra Kelley
1. Soil Stewardship Sunday - will be observed on April 27, 2003 at the United Methodist Church, Cherry Creek, NY.
2. Erie County SWCD - MOTION by Anderson seconded by Thompson to allow Deb to go to Erie County SWCD one day a week to help them with their secretarial duties. Erie County will reimburse Chaut. Co, SWCD $16.00/hr plus tolls and Mileage. Carried!
G. Bruce Kidder
1. Farm Bill - EQIP - Bruce talked about an article that he has received. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol for the District Board to write a letter to NRCS State Office. The letter should attempt to apply pressure to finalize the EQIP rules and regulations and get the money to the farmers. Carried!
VI. Old Business
A. Annual Plan of Work - The Annual Plan of work was reviewed by the board. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Beightol to approve the Annual Plan of Work. Carried!
B. Long Range Plan of Work - The Long Range Plan of Work was reviewed by the board. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to approve the Long Range Plan of Work. Carried!
C. Review Policies - Policies were reviewed by the board. MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the Policies. Carried!
D. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
E. N.Y. State Association Conservation District - Pay Dues - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to pay the State Dues. Carried!
A. EPF Grant - Rate for farmers IN-Kind services on Grants. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to set the rate for Farmers In-Kind services at $25.00/hr for grants.
B. Personnel - MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to send Bryan Mentley a letter regarding his attendance. Carried
District Minutes Page 2.
A. Meeting - Fred attended a meeting in Ellicottville. RC&D is pursuing grants for Matt Beckerink for a liquid manure sand separator.
IX. Water Quality
A. Conewango Watershed Festival - will be held at the Audubon on May 15, 2003. We will be setting up an exhibit there.
X. Cooperators none
XI. Next Meeting - Thursday, March 27, 2003, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY.
MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to adjourn at 2:45 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges