CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
May 8, 2003
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:05 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Robert Anderson - Member David Wilson - Field Manager
Fred Croscut - Member Rob Halbohm - NRCS
Leon Beightol - Treasurer
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the minutes of the March meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. A Thank You Letter from Pomona Grange to Chautauqua County SWCD for Soil Stewardship Sunday materials.
A. Other Agencies - none
B. Committees - none
C. District Conservationist
1. Farm Bill Programs - I received training on the EQIP Program for 2003. There will be a sign up period for the program til June 13th. Funding will be divided up by the 8 major river basins in New York State. See Attachment.
2. FSA Plan Approvals - I have five plans for approval they are for Edson Farms, Paul Odell, John Cline, William Hanson and Duane Dunnewold. MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the five FSA Plans. Carried!
D District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Trees & Shrubs - We are winding down this program, we have only a few left. We had around 480 orders this year. That is down from last year.
2. Envirothon - Was held May 2, 2003 at Cockaigne Ski Center in Cherry Creek, NY. Southwestern School was number one, Dunkirk School was number 2 and HEWES BOCES number 3. First Place winner will represent Chautauqua County at the New York State Envirothon on May 28 & 29, 2003.
District Minutes Page 2.
District Field Manager (cont.)
3. Arbor Day Program - Arbor Day was April 25, 2003. The District along with the High School Ag/Conservation Class passed out 2,500 seedlings to the Fifth grade classes. This year the Lakewood Rod & Gun Club funded this program.
4. Conservation Field Days - will be May 28 & 29 at Long Point State Park. The District will have 2 displays there again this year.
5. Pond Seminar - Due to great public request we will be holding a pond seminar on May 28 and June 5. We will have a charge for this program.
E. District Secretary - Debra Kelley
1. Grass Carp - We are having a great year with Carp we may not be able to do them all in one day.
2. Koi - I have the order forms ready to go out for Koi, so we can get started with them.
VI. Old Business
A. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
B. NACD - Pay National Dues - Tabled
A. Planning and Economics Committee - The District is to appear in front of the Committee to justify their existence. This meeting will be here at the Ag Center on May 21st at 4:00 PM
A. Sand Separator - At the May 6th meeting it was announced that the Grant for Matt Beckerink through the New York State Economic Development for a Sand Separator was approved. NRCS will be providing technical assistance for the manure storage facility that is part of this grant.
IX. Water Quality
B. Water Week - is May 5 - 11, 2003, we will have a display at the Chautauqua Mall the week of May 12 - 18, 2003. We will have a water tasting contest with Ronnie Rain Drop.
A. Paul Odell - Town of Ripley. MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to approve Paul Odell as a District Cooperator. Carried!
XI. Next Meeting - Thursday, June 26, 2003, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY.
MOTION by Croscut seconded by Anderson to adjourn at 1:50 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges