CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
September 25, 2003
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Robert Anderson - Member David Wilson - Field Manager
Robert Thompson - Vice-Chair Rob Halbohm – District Conservationist - NRCS
Leon Beightol - Treasurer
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the minutes of the August meeting. Carried.
III. Treasurer’s Report:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Thompson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
B. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. Minutes from the Farmland Protection Board Meeting, September 22, 2003. See ATTACHED.
A. Other Agencies - none
C. District Conservationist – Rob Halbohm
1. EQIP Update – We have received additional money from Washington for EQIP, this allows for Chautauqua County to receive funding for two farms. Steve Kimball in the town of Poland and Roger Tenpas in the Town of Ellington will get the funding.
2. Construction – We have been working on three significant practices with Scott Aikens, tank and filter strip, Fred Croscut, holding tank and pump for milk house waste and Matt Beckerink, Manure pit and sand separator. Scott Aikens and Fred Croscut have completed their practices, we are still working on Matt Beckerink’s.
3. CRP Application – Greg Rater from Sherman was approved for 16.8 ac. We will be constructing and fencing out the stream and planting Riparian Buffers. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson to approve the CRP Contract for Greg Rater.
D. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Fall Work Load – We still have a lot of work to do in the field. We are still hydro-seeding, laying out tile drainage and pond construction.
2. District Trucks – The County will be putting trucks out to bid in October. This year we will put the Ranger and the 150 pickup out for a quote.
E. District Secretary - Debra Kelley
1. Trout Stocking – The orders have been coming in to the office, delivery is scheduled for October 8th.
2. Laser Printer Service Agreement – We have received the bill for the agreement and the cost for this year is $1,200. The board agreed not to renew the service agreement at this time and check on the price of a new one.
3. Insurance – Terrorism Coverage – We received a letter from the insurance company regarding terrorism coverage. This will be provided at no additional cost to the district.
District Minutes Page 2.
VI. Old Business
A. Personnel Appraisals - Tabled
B. Ag Center Building Lease - As of August 31, 2003 USDA stopped paying their rent until all noted repairs have been completed at the Ag Center. There are still a few things like the sidewalk that are not completed to meet the specs. We hope to resolve this issue soon.
C. 2002 Cooperator of the Year – Tabled
D. NYACD Annual Meeting – October 26 – 28 in Corning, NY. Fred Croscut and David Sturges will attend the meeting. MOTION by Beightol seconded by Anderson for Fred Croscut to be the Voting Delegate and David Sturges will be the Alternate Delegate. Carried!
VII. New Business
A. Joint Annual Banquet – We are just in the planning stages for the banquet, it will probably be in early December at Belenger Hall, Chautauqua Institute.
A. Centaur Stride Stables – Dave and Rob have been out to Centaur Stride to look at some tile drainage and diversion ditches. They are applying for a grant from RC&D to help them with the project.
IX. Water Quality - None
X. Cooperators – Lake Erie Regional Grape Experiment Station, Route 20, Fredonia, NY. MOTION by Anderson seconded by Beightol to approve the Lake Erie Regional Grape Experiment Station as a District Cooperator. Carried!
XI. Next Meeting - Thursday, October 23, 2003, 1:00 P.M. at the Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY
XII. Meeting Adjourned
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson to adjourn at 2:45 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges