CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Frank W. Bratt Ag Center, Jamestown, NY 14701
District Board of Directors' Regular Meeting
JUNE 24, 2004
I. Meeting Called to Order: 1:00 P.M.
David Sturges - Chairman Debra Kelley - Secretary
Robert Thompson - Vice-Chair David Wilson - Field Manager
Robert Anderson - Member Rob Halbohm - NRCS DC
Ben Reckahn - NRCS Intern
II. Minutes of The Previous Meeting:
MOTION by Anderson seconded by Thompson to approve the minutes of the May meeting.Carried.
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson to accept the Treasurer's report and pay current bills. Carried.
A. The following bills were approved for payment:
A. NYACD Annual Meeting will be held October 24 - 26 in Lake Placid. All resolutions are due by August 2, 2004
A. Other Agencies-None
B. Committees - None
C.District Conservationist - Rob Halbohm
1. EQIP & AMA Program Status: I received 18 sign ups for EQIP Program these were selected for a plan development about 5 or 6 of them should get funded. I have received 12 applications for AMA Program, the deadline to apply was June 1st, so I don’t know which ones will get funded yet. I think our chances are good for some funding.
2. Staffing/Personal - Last month you met Ben he will be with us until the middle of August. He has been working in the field and also working on the HEL Determinations. I also received news that they have made a selection for Soil Conservationist that is going to be stationed here. His name is Heath Eisele and he recently graduated from Ohio State. He will be starting some time in the middle of July.
D. District Field Manager - David Wilson
1. Summer Workload - Hydro-Seeding is starting to pickup a little, I looked at a couple of jobs this morning. We have been getting a lot of calls for stream permits due to the wet spring.
2. Chautauqua County Fair - We will have our Ag Tent again at the Fair this year, along with our display in Floral Hall.
District Minutes Page 2.
E. District Secretary - Debra Kelley
1. Fish - Catfish - 450, Walleye & Perch - 400 of each, Bass - 375 and 6000 minnows
2. NYS Archives Grant - To preserve our aerial Photos. This grant is coming to an end and I will be closing it out. The final report is due at the end of the month.
VI. Old Business
A. Review Policies - Tabled
A. District Finances - MOTION by Anderson seconded by Thompson for the staff to take one week off without pay and then return to work on a four day work week in an attempt to close the budget gap. Carried
B. 2005 County Budget - We are anticipating a 10% cut in county appropriations for 2005. If this happens we will be laying off Dave Spann and Bryan Mentley on January 1, 2005. This is 2/3 of our field staff. The only field person left will be me and if the job requires two people Deb will not be in the office she will have to be with me in the field.
C. District Health Insurance - Just to add one more blow to the already bad financial picture for the District, the Municipal Health Insurance Plan is in financial trouble. They will be assessing an assessment to all plan participants and the District will have to pay in addition approximately $4,000 by September 1st. MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson to approve the payment of the assessment on the Health Insurance Plan and for Deb to look at other Health Insurance Options. Carried!
A. Meeting on July 12, 2004 - This meeting will be held in Findley Lake and will include a tour of Matt & Nancy Beckerink’s Farm to look at their manure sand separator and a boat ride on Findley Lake to check on the lakes condition.
IX. Water Quality
X. Cooperators none
XI. Next Meeting - Friday, July 30, 2004, 10:00 A.M. at the Chautauqua County Fair Ground - SWCD Ag Tent, Dunkirk, NY
MOTION by Thompson seconded by Anderson to adjourn at 1:45 P.M. Carried!
Debra A. Kelley David J. Sturges